Monday 22 October 2012

Apollo 16 Man

Shaking hands with Charlie Duke of Apollo 16 the 10th Moon walking Astronaut, on Saturday 20th October 2012 at Pontefract Yorkshire. A very nice picturesque area with friendly, helpful locals. An interesting speech followed the picture taking session. It could be the last chance I get to see one of the Apollo programme Astronauts. Charlie was a Lunar Module Pilot and completed a lot of long geology sessions on the Moon surface and  drives in the Moon vehicle. The sessions of sample collecting reached  72 hours in total, $1 million a minute.  He spoke in complete honesty, with an air of humbleness. All this was a surprise from my brother for my 60th birthday, a wonderful thought. I couldn't wait in the queue to have my photograph signed by Charlie as we had to catch the train back home. The weather was perfect and our train connections went without a hitch. The Moon landings were a big part in my life history, and were an amazing technological and human achievement. If you ever get the chance go and see one of our great modern explorers, I would recommend it.       

No comments:

Post a Comment