Saturday 29 December 2012


Silence is Golden
If you ever visit the Lake District in Cumbria, England, be prepared, not just for the usual rain and narrow winding lanes and sheer lack of shopping facilities. No you will notice them small inconveniences , more it will be for the absolute natural beauty of this diamond of nature, set in high colourful hills compressed together, that imprison vast quantities of pure crystal clean water into lakes of flat shimmering beauty. No doubt you will have to stop your car or bicycle at regular intervals to photograph these wonderful awe inspiring natural ranges.
I had started off early that day after filling my little mini car with petrol at 60p a gallon, I'll bet that will bring back some memories. I arrived in Lake Windermere to it's white swans and chugging ferry boats filled with waterproof clothed walkers and excited children. At the aircraft display I  touched a real World War 2 Spitfire fighter plane, every schoolboys and dads dream. After long drives and stopping off for viewing points we decided on taking a turn off to a village who's name eludes me. It was a warm summer evening and as we approached the village centre the swifts darted about in the sky. I parked up by the pub and let the car rest and cool down.  It was only when we got out of the car we noticed the sheer silence, I mean real peace and utter quiet.  Coming from a city you are never prepared for this level of peace. I've visited villages before but never ever experienced this atmosphere. Everybody walked so quietly, not a word spoken.
A pint beckoned so we opened the latch on the door, looking around we saw the village types, they all looked up at us without a word. I swear I could hear them thinking about us. I walked over to the bar being careful not to disturb the deathly silence, no gaming machines or TV to be seen. Even ordering the drinks you lowered your usual voice because the barman heard every low toned word from you. We sat down whispering to each other and dare we order some crisps? Even if they sold these ear shattering snacks I fear we might have been taken to the hanging oak for intrusion and disturbance of the peace. Well we played it safe and bought the sandwiches and stew. Very nice it was too, and the cool keg beer sent it on it's way nicely. We relaxed a little after the wine and beer but decided to leave and walk the alcohol off before the drive home.
Passing the rest home the residents probably thought they had already arrived in heaven in such a restful setting. I swear this place was quieter than absolute zero decibels. It was such an unusual little village the likes of which I don't think I will ever see again. It was just turning dusk as we left down the winding lane, funnily we both turned and looked at each other in silence as we didn't need to say a word, we both knew what we had experienced. I often wonder to this day has it still managed to escape the advance of time and the noise that comes with it, or is it there amongst the hills cocooned in its silent little world without a drill or chainsaw in sight.  One thing I know now it would be a writers paradise, nothing could distract you there, I don't think I even saw a church, maybe God wasn't even allowed to gatecrash utopia.

Kevin  John   Humphreys
30th December  2012       

No comments:

Post a Comment