Sunday 2 September 2012

Belfast BBC Audition

Hiya,
I was shuffling through Belfast city centre a few years ago. I had been for an audition for a presenter job at the BBC that very day. I mean what made me think I could even pass the TV test, never spoken to a camera in my life? Yes that was it, I was in a variable bipolar high phase. I was tidy enough but more likely to have struggled getting  a tea making job, but god loves a trier they do say. We went for a cup of tea. Frank the black man in the trilby who accompanied his daughter said "Beware of skeletons in your cupboard with these jobs Kev! " How true.
I decided to sit down for a little rest on a bench. A man on a cycle looked at me, and he must have noticed my artificial hand, he gave me a leaflet about his book, something about the study of avoiding accidents, was he psychic or something?  Apparently you have to slow down, be more aware, it's an art form not to do things on auto pilot. 
I visited Harland and Wolff ship yard where the ill fated Titanic was built, silent and ghostly, sad in a way. 
There was a gay parade that day, all sorts of loudly dressed people dancing through the city. It was funny watching them arguing with homophobic men. Such is life. 
I bought my wife a bracelet, had a few drinks, the pubs seemed a bit odd to me, everyone listens to what you say as you ask for a drink, then start talking again. 
I set off for the Airport in the cab, ye gods, twenty quid. 
Saw the LFC team in the Belfast Airport lounge, phoned home to tell my son to get their signatures at Liverpool John Lennon Airport. It was good to be home, hopes dashed. The wife and son happy with their spoils, so they were!  
Bercher 

No comments:

Post a Comment