Thursday 13 September 2012

The Paradox club

Hi,
Well as Christmas nights out go for the office it was eventful. The old Vernons Pools building by Aintree racecourse was the chosen venue. At the time it was converted to The Paradox Club, arranged in a disco style. My manager slipped and broke her ankle, I never danced even once, not for me that lark, some love it, mainly the girls. The bars where evenly spaced, I was alone free with my thoughts, it never felt like Christmas to me. I just clutched a pint between conversations. I felt confident and my life kept flying through my brain. The walloping beat of the music became irksome for some reason. I walked around in circles late on trying to find the exit. I must have walked around the building at least six times, passing my colleagues, saying goodbye again and again. What I thought could be an exit turned out to be a black curtain, with bricked up walls behind it. I stayed close to the perimeter like a blind person, all the way around leaving no space unchecked, no exit turned up, I stayed calm more intrigued than worried. In the end I had a shot for the road each time I circled. I wouldn't bury my masculine pride and ask for the way out, no not me! One of our office girls said, "It's you again I thought you said you were going." I never chatted this time. It was strange because I was sober really, and to think I used to tie postal bags as a postman on overtime somewhere here, but that was long ago. After an hour or so a reception area came into view, odd that, and off I went into the cool night and calmly sat in one of the waiting taxis. Most of the building is sadly, demolished, I still remember that event, I wonder why to this day the exit vanished, and if anyone else had experienced what I had.    

No comments:

Post a Comment