Saturday 10 November 2012

Old Man's Legacy


OLD MAN’S LEGACY

My son went far when he grew so tall, the youths they sit on my old garden wall.
The bricks they push till they fall on the floor.
They drink swear roll and bang on my door, cans in my garden, packets and more.
The girls they scream, the boys all roar, the gate goes clank, clank and scrapes on the floor.
I don’t go out there’s abuse and more, I’ve been jostled, mocked more bangs on my door.
The windows cracked a heavy stone, it happened late by a hooded clone.
They’re all look the same in black tracksuit hood’s, they smash the cars and steal all the goods.
The local “fence” he smiles with glee he’s happy with his legacy.

The T.V. shows of which I’m fond, the bangs and screams drown out the sound.
Aggressive parents just the same, absent dads are part to blame.
Piss off old man it’s not my kids if round you go when you’ve had enough.
So you pick up the phone and call the cops, they say they’ll step up area patrols.
They don’t want paperwork or unsolved crimes, there’s better work these are tough times.
It’s two a.m. the youth’s gone to bed; a nice soft pillow surrounds my old head.
I look at the photo of my lovely wife the stress of it all took her frail life.
The neighbours I loved have gone to the grave, families moved in they never will work.
Up till late they drink their free beer, the music is loud they think it’s New Year every day all swilling the beer.
The kids run amok staying up late, no homework done get to school late.
They smash down the fences that we had to build, the flowers we planted the lawns that we trimmed.
Hey there’s some good news my bungalows ready, sheltered housing away from the melee.
I move in next week a secure guarded fence; I worked all my life to pay the cheap rent.

I went with the girl from the social service a brand new bed and laundry service.
Kind open faces heaps of respect; I even get help when I go to the shops.
I watch all my shows and go to bed early, up in the morning to buy my paper.
My son came to see me his family looked fine, they offered a room in a big house that’s mine.
After thinking it over I’d get in their way let them have their life unselfish you see.
They look very happy and relieved when I said, I think I’ll stay here I love my new bed.

My old house was taken by a new family the same as the others they seem to fit in.
That old street is dangerous there’s no sympathy; the dogs are all barking each has two or three.
They fight with each other there’s no one to blame, the local gangster’s are feeling no pain.
The fast cars and money makes them feel good, is that all they have for spilling the blood of countless poor children who live in the “hood”.
A mess that needs sorting, it’s not up to me; I brought up my family they’re good you see.
The doctor is with me I’m passing away, my children around me it’s better to say; I left you all with a fine legacy.
I’m going somewhere I can’t really see, there are blue lights and gardens and beautiful sea.
I hug Auntie’s Uncle’s my old Mum and Dad there’s clean cars and buses the nicest I’ve had.
My garden is peaceful with flowers galore no screaming hoodie’s are banging my door.
I’ll be here forever I feel this for sure.

By
Kevin Humphreys
November 6th 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment