Wednesday 14 November 2012

Swipe


Swipe

My name is Swipe
I’ve lived in hotels bed & breakfast all my life
This entry card is in my hand
To open doors across this land

In hotel bars I show my card
To order drinks it isn’t hard
It’s always safe I never flash
No bulging change or wads of cash

I see my room it’s always bright
In the morning, midday or the night
I’m in a place a day or two
The strangers pass the voices new

I sleep the night my card I stow
The cleaners call just as I go
I swipe my card and take my case
To the checkout girl a helpful face
She asks my name it’s just the same
My Mum and Dad began the game

2

They travelled far me by their side
Until the car crashed on its side
I miss them now the folks I had
I hardly knew my Mum and Dad

 I travel light and all alone
Don’t have a place I have no home
 It’s in my blood for me to roam
To book a room I’m on the phone

I’m growing old and getting slow
I hate the cold, ice, rain and snow
It’s straight to bed I rarely show
I read a book or just lay low

I’m in a room a smart hotel
The staff are nice my name they know
It’s been some time but will I go?
I know the clubs and shops and bars
The best way for my travelled car



3

I never cook or wash my clothes
It’s done by folk who rarely show
Its summer time to town I go
A dart or two I like to throw

The girls don’t want me now I’m old
Its shady ladies dressed in gold
 They follow me because I’m meek
I must get back its time for sleep

I’ll settle here I like the life
I’ve made new friends
I’ve booked a flight
If things don’t turn out as they might
I have the card my name is Swipe

Kevin Humphreys
February 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment